Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Special Service

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
John 13:12-17


Last night ass we were about to participate in the washing of the feet at church, I began to think about Jesus' message.  The actual act of washing of the feet represents our servitude to both Christ and to one another.  It is a beautiful reminder of who we are-dust!  

Jesus reminded the disciples in Matthew 20: 26-28
"26Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

How are you serving Christ?  No, not how many ministries do you belong to you or how many committees you have joined, but how are you serving Christ?  Remember Christ's warning in Matthew 7, "21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"  Serving Christ is not about what I want to do for Him but what He would have me do.  On my own, I probably wouldn't voluntarily wash feet, but He would have me do it.  On my own, I probably wouldn't do anything that required me to humble myself, but He would have me do it.  Let's not seek to serve in comfort but in sacrifice, not for public recognition but in anonymity, not in boastfulness, but in humility.

How are you as a servant?  Do you complain where the Lord has called you to serve or do you thank Him that He would have you (remember, we're dust) do anything?  He is the King of Kings and He has chosen you out of many to pick up crying babies during the service, pick up garbage from the floor, pick up phone calls in the church...how amazing that His eyes our upon us!  So next time the flesh wants to act up and complain about serving, remind it that it is dust, that it is a privilege to serve Him who gave you salvation, healed you, set you free, filled you with His Holy Spirit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14