Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Clean Up that Attitude

" 'You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, which is among them.' "
Leviticus 15:31

Today, we began on our "spring" cleaning.  Instead of doing the entire house in one day (as I usually would do), we decided it was wiser to tackle one room at a time.  Although this may take more time, it will be done more thoroughly.  I didn't want to clean the house just to say I did; I wanted a clean house.  Towards the end, I started to get tired and so as to avoid an "intense fellowship" moment with my husband, I didn't try to push it as I regularly would.  This made all the difference.  

Our eldest came in and asked, "Mami, who do you think worked more, you or Daddy?"  I answered, "Daddy."  Then she proceeded to ask her father the same question and added, "Common really, who do you think did the most work?"  He answered, "Mami, she did the whole refrigerator."  I must admit, a small hesitation on his part, made me question as to whether he really thought I was pulling my weight with the job at hand.  But, when he specifically added the example of what I had been doing, I knew he wasn't just answering to sound cute.  He was serious.  He had valued my help and I his.

The Bible tells us to separate ourselves from that which will make us unclean.  What makes us unclean?  Well, there are a lot of things that can potentially make us unclean, but I want to focus on our attitude. A negative attitude make us dirty.  It muddies our thinking and overpowers our emotions.  We cease to be led by the Spirit and are now guided by the flesh.  A negative attitude is just that-everything is wrong, bad, not enough, too late, hopeless, senseless, pointless...lots of drama!  You can feel the negativity permeate the airs and fill it with a horrible stench of despair.  It can become suffocating!

So as the children of Israel had to keep separate from that which would defile them, let us too do the same. It's time to clean up our attitude!  We need to ask the Holy Spirit, "What am I negative about?  What is causing me to see that person or situation negatively?  Why don't I think Your powerful enough to act in this area?"Once we have those answers, the Holy Spirit will guide us to all Truth of the Father and we will be rid of those negative attitudes.  

A word of caution though.  Just as I can not clean my kitchen once, you can't do the same with your attitude.  This is a day to day thing.  As my husband puts it, "Maintenance is key."



 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

7It (Love) always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
1 Corinthians 13:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14